Apollo Bay Eco YHA and Sustainability
Apollo Bay Eco YHA is committed to reducing its environmental footprint and being a responsible community member through a mix of conservation and sustainable practices and services. Initiatives include:
Energy/Greenhouse Gas Reduction:
- Passive solar design with thermal storage banks throughout building
- Solar hot water system with gas booster
- Low energy lighting used within the hostel
- Sensor activated lighting in common areas
- Bathroom exhaust linked to lighting
- Low energy electric heating
- Computers turned off at night
- Promotion of public transport
- Participate in Earth Hour
- Recycling stations in kitchens, common areas and office areas.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, aluminium and steel cans, batteries, clothing and printer cartridges.
- All Organic kitchen waste collected and composted on site through worm farms
- Recycle waste from grease trap
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products
- On-site herb garden
Water Saving Measures:
- Rainwater tank on site used to water gardens
- 5 star WELS rated taps and showers
- Dual flush toilets and waterless urinal
- Signage in bathrooms and kitchens encouraging guests to minimise water usage
What is ECO Certification?
The ECO Certification program assures travellers that certified products are backed by a strong, well managed commitment to sustainable practices and provides high quality nature-based tourism experiences.